Thursday, January 13, 2011

A little spare time...

7.     Make a pillowcase for the Cancer center (http://www.conkerrcancer.org/)

My kid is awesome.  I mean, I know everyone thinks that, but mine really is. Really, I am not saying it is because of me- most times I think it is actually despite me. She constantly amazes me.

Two years ago at the Original Sewing and Quilting Show I was introduced to an organization call ConKerr Cancer.  They provide bright, cheerful pillowcases for children going through cancer treatments.  (For more information click on this link: http://www.conkerrcancer.org/ )  At the time I thought, what a great way to use the extra fabric in my stash. 

If you have never seen my fabric stash, you should be warned.  I am to fabric like an alcoholic is to an icy cold beer.  I can't resist, and I can't stop with just one (yard.)  I love to make things for my kids, and in my "estimation" of what I need, I am generally a yard or two over what I actually need.  I really didn't know the extent of my addiction until we moved a few years ago and I was forced to pack up my "stash."   I had more boxes of fabric than I had boxes of pots and pans.  But I digress.....

Making pillowcases for this organization has been in the back of my mind since I heard of them.  I have the fabric, but I never seemed to have the time.  When I made my bucket list I just knew that making these pillowcases had to be on this list.  But when to make the time?

If you are in Atlanta (or really anywhere in the Southeast) you know we are in the midst of "Snowmageddon 2011."   The kids have been out of school all week.  We have sledded.  We have built snowmen.  We drank hot cocoa.  We have opened and played with every game in our house.  What a great time to get started on these pillowcases!

I thought this would be the perfect project to start with my 10 year old daughter. She loves to sew.  I began teaching her to use my machine in first grade.  I called her down to the sewing room and she read about the organization on the website. She was very excited about helping.   We went through my stash and picked out great kid friendly fabrics and matched them up with coordinating band fabrics.  And we sat down to work.

The first pillowcase we made was made from "peace sign" fabric that my daughter and I bought on Black Friday. She picked it out at the store because she loved it.  We bought it to make something for her, but she wanted to use it to make a pillowcase instead. ("If I like it, I am sure someone my age will like it.")  I cut, she pinned.  She sewed, I serged.  We got into a groove, and knocked out 7 pillowcases. 

When we were done I asked her to go check what the others were doing.  She came back downstairs and said they were playing Rockband.  I said, "That sounds like fun."  She responded, "This is fun Mom, and it is more fun because we are helping people."

I had the best afternoon making memories with my child.  It is rare that I spend hours alone with just one of my children. Had we been doing anything together alone it would have been fun, but to know that she also "gets" helping others makes me a very proud mom. She has even asked to be included in the delivery of these pillowcases, and this will be another opportunity for just me and her.

Last night she spent the night with a friend.  When she came home today she said, "Maybe we can make some more pillowcases today."  I think she must have enjoyed the day as much as I did.  We made plans to go buy more fabric when the roads clear up, and make some more.

My child is kind and compassionate.  She is patient and sweet.  So many times I ask myself, "How did I get so lucky to have such a child?  What did I do to deserve her?"  Inevitably soon after that she will roll her eyes at me and yell at me "It's not fair!"  and I realize that she is a typical tween after all, and I am actually getting what I deserve.

3 comments:

  1. Awww... I love my little Caroline! So sweet and not surprising at all. I'm so glad you two were able to spend the day together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful insight she has! That must make you feel so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete