Sunday, January 2, 2011

My first blog- picking a name

As many of you know, I have decided this year to make a bucket list of things I want to do before I am 40.  Some asked if I would post it, so I decided a blog was the way to go.  I found a blogging site and it asked me- "name of blog."

Hmmm......what name can I give this blog that will really speak to what I am trying to do with this bucket list? After thinking about what I actually wanted to accomplish, I had an idea.

Two years ago I wanted to challenge myself. At that point in my life, my body had already accomplished something amazing- it had produced three wonderful children. Our family was complete. Time for my body to move on and accomplish something else physically.  I decided the next challenge for me was to complete a triathlon.

Triathlons are governed by a body (USAT) that sets certain rules and guidelines for competition.  One of the rules is, you race in the age group for the age you are going to be on December 31st of that year.  They call this  "aging up." My first triathlon was in June 2009, which would make me 37 on the day of the race.  However, since on my birthday in October I would be 38, my age for competition was 38.  I got to the race and the "aged me up" to 38.  They wrote the number 38 on my calf with a sharpie.  For their purposes I was 38.

As the year turned to 2011, I realized this was the year I was going to be 40.  Even though during race season this year I will only be 39, I will get a big fat 40 on my calf because I will be 40 by the end of the year.  Is this fair?   Can they really just take away the last year of me being in my 30's?  I have a lot of things to do before I turn 40!

I have things that I have been meaning to do, but I just haven't gotten to yet.  I have things that I didn't know I wanted to do until people suggested them to me.  I have things that I need to do to make me a better person.  All of these things can be done now. BEFORE I turn 40.  I am not ready to age up yet.

How many things do we miss when we are looking past them to the next milestone?  All of us remember waiting anxiously for our kids to say their first words- and in doing so, we didn't appreciate how little time there is when a child and their parent can communicate solely through looks and gestures. How many times have we been so anxious for a holiday that we miss all the lights, feelings and nuances leading up to the holiday itself? 

This milestone I will reach in time.  I will appreciate all of the days and events leading up to it.  They can write the 40 on my calf, but I know in my heart I will NOT be 40 until the calendar says so.  In my life, I will not age up.

Look for my bucket list to be posted shortly.  I appreciate all of the ideas and feedback that I have gotten in making it.  And if you are reading my first blog, I think you know what the first thing I will check off my list is :)

3 comments:

  1. can't wait to read more on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, Miriam! You have helped me realize my New Year's resolution...to write in my blog more often! I'll be following your posts...good luck with the bucket list...

    ReplyDelete